Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Journey of a Painting: the Creation of "Apple Orchard" by Tracy Levesque

Painting is all about the process, but often, as an artist, I don't get to share that process with the viewer. They only get to see the finished piece. So, with this new painting, "Apple Orchard," I decide to document my process from sketch to finish. Enjoy.

The sketch.
A bunch of tall trees. I originally planned for birches, but that changed during the process when the shapes and colors redirected my inspiration. As you can see from the notes, everything evolved.

With the outlines laid in and the sky beginning to create the atmosphere, the painting started to take shape. The outline really is the core of my painting from start to finish it is always visible.
A soft cornflower blue sky and purple Berkshire Mountains added.
Green trees come to life with brush and palette knife work, permanent green and indian yellow - a delicious combination. Still wondering what my trees will be - definitely not thinking birches anymore.
My signature color blankets painted in at the trees feet. Trees still an unknown species. LOL
Outlines start to take shape in the angles of the brushwork. So much fun.
Square apples discovered in the trees and painted red. Reflection appears in a water pool at the bottom of the painting. More detail added. Things are starting to materialize magically.

Later that night I watch "The Wizard of Oz" and awake with a vision of my Apple Orchard as I want to paint it - like something from an enchanted forest.

The finished painting.
"Apple Orchard"
30"h x 40"w x 1.5"d
Acrylic on canvas
Everything comes together. Knotty tall apple trees with smaller ones in the background, red rocks, the reflection the water complete and the textured Berkshire Hills.

An Apple Orchard is born!

No comments:

Post a Comment